Things You Need to Know Before Study in Canada as an International Student

Studying in Canada as an international student is an exciting opportunity, but it comes with specific requirements and considerations. Here’s what you need to know to study in Canada as an international student:

Choose a Program and University

Research Canadian universities and colleges to find a program that aligns with your academic and career goals. Consider factors such as location, program offerings, and tuition costs.

Meet Admission Requirements

Each university and program may have different admission requirements. Common requirements include academic transcripts, English language proficiency (e.g., IELTS or TOEFL scores), standardized test scores (if applicable), letters of recommendation, and a statement of intent. Ensure you meet these requirements and deadlines.

Apply to Universities

Complete the university’s online application, which typically includes providing personal information, academic history, and the required documents. Pay the application fee.

English/French Language Proficiency

If English or French is not your native language, you’ll likely need to demonstrate your proficiency in one of these languages. Take the necessary language tests and achieve the required scores.

Study Permit (Student Visa)

To study in Canada, you need a study permit (student visa). Apply for it through the Government of Canada’s official website or at your nearest Canadian consulate or embassy. You may need to provide your acceptance letter, proof of funds, and other documents.


Be prepared to show that you have enough funds to cover your tuition fees, living expenses, and return transportation. This is a requirement for your study permit application.

Health Insurance

Make sure you have adequate health insurance coverage while studying in Canada. Some provinces offer provincial health coverage, while others require you to purchase private health insurance.


Secure accommodation before your arrival in Canada. Many universities offer on-campus housing options, or you can explore off-campus housing.

Orientation and Registration

Attend the university’s orientation for international students. Register for courses and get your student ID card.

Work Permits

If you plan to work part-time while studying, you may need to apply for a work permit. Canada offers various options, such as the Off-Campus Work Permit Program (OCWPP) and the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP).

Adapt to Canadian Life

Be prepared for a new cultural and social environment. Familiarize yourself with Canadian customs, laws, and any specific rules or policies at your university.

Stay Informed

Keep yourself informed about any changes in immigration policies or regulations. You may need to extend your study permit or apply for a post-graduation work permit if you plan to work in Canada after completing your studies.

It’s essential to consult the official website of the Government of Canada, particularly the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website, for the most current and detailed information on immigration and study permit requirements. Additionally, each university will have its own support services and resources for international students, so make use of those to help with your transition and studies in Canada.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *